7th March 2017
1. I condemn in the strongest possible terms North Korea's decision to prevent Malaysian citizens from leaving the country.
2. This abhorrent act, effectively holding our citizens hostage, is in total disregard of all international law and diplomatic norms.
3. As a peace-loving nation, Malaysia is committed to maintaining friendly relations with all countries. However, protecting our citizens is my first priority, and we will not hesitate to take all measures necessary when they are threatened.
4. I have summoned an emergency meeting of the National Security Council. I have also instructed the Inspector General of Police to prevent all North Korean citizens in Malaysia from leaving the country until we are assured of the safety and security of all Malaysians in North Korea.
5. Our hope is for a swift resolution. I call upon the North Korean leadership to immediately allow our citizens to leave to avoid any further escalation.
DATO' SRI NAJIB TUN RAZAK
PRIME MINISTER OF MALAYSIA