*Datuk Seri S. Vell Paari*
*Treasurer - General*
*Malaysian Indian Congress (MIC)*
1. I refer to a recent statement issued by Dr. Mahathir's multi-billionaire son Mokhzani Mahathir where Mokhzani was recorded as saying that receiving the 1Malaysia People's Aid (BR1M) is nothing to shout about and we can only be proud and be like champions when we are rich.
Source : Getting BR1M nothing to shout about, says Mokhzani
2. First of all, this statement by Mokhzani Mahathir just goes to show how arrogant he is and how he has lost touch with the common people of this country. Everyone in Malaysia knows how Mokhzani Mahathir made his billions. In fact Anwar Ibrahim once said that Mokhzani's Kenchana Petroleum received most of the projects from PETRONAS. Dr. Mahathir was also once the advisor of PETRONAS.
Sourcre : https://youtu.be/mBY95JIofCM
3. Secondly, i would like to remind Mokhzani Mahathir to stop looking down and disrespecting people who receive BR1M. Not everyone in Malaysia is the son of a former Prime Minister for 22 years and who is now a multi - billionaire. There are people in this country who work to find a living honestly and do need assistance from time to time. The government is aware of this and providing assistance to the rakyat accordingly. The amount of assistance might be nothing to Mokhzani but means a lot to the people who are really in need.
4. Thirdly, the statement from Mokhzani Mahathir also shows his hypocrisy. If he really thinks that BRIM is nothing to shout about, why Pakatan Harapan in their manifesto did not commit to abolishing BR1M? The reason is simple because PH knows that BR1M is a very good initiative by the BN government and that is why PH is maintaining it.
5. Finally, i call upon Mokhzani Mahathir to apologise to all Malaysians who are BR1M recipients as they do not deserve to be disrespected and ridiculed. This people are honest working man and women who require assistance which is being provided by the government. In criticizing BR1M is just irresponsible and shows how arrogant Mokhzani Mahathir is.